Vision vs. Ambition in Ministry
Vision is a God-given picture of what God desires to accomplish through us; ambition is a self-driven desire for what we want to accomplish through ministry.
| VISION | AMBITION |
|---|---|
| Begins with God's purpose | Begins with personal desire |
| Asks, “What does God want?” | Asks, “What do I want to achieve?” |
| Receives direction through prayer and Scripture | Often develops from comparison, recognition, or personal aspiration |
| Focuses on God's glory | Can focus on personal significance |
| Serves people and God's Kingdom | Can use people to build one's ministry |
| Measures success by faithfulness and fruit | Often measures success by numbers, position, influence, or recognition |
| Is willing to wait for God's timing | Can become impatient with God's timing |
| Produces stewardship | Can produce self-promotion |
| Can be sacrificial | Often seeks personal advancement |
| Says, “Thy kingdom come.” | Can subtly say, “My ministry come.” |
1. Vision Comes From God's Purpose
Biblical ministry begins not with, “What ministry do I want to build?”, but with “What is God doing, and how does He want me to participate?”
Jesus said:
“I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”
— John 5:30 KJV
That is an important ministry principle.
Jesus had enormous purpose, but He did not operate from self-originated ambition. His ministry flowed from the Father's will.
Paul likewise understood his ministry as something entrusted to him:
“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry.”
— 1 Timothy 1:12 KJV
Vision therefore is fundamentally stewardship.
God gives something to see, something to carry, and something to accomplish—and the minister becomes a steward of it.
2. Ambition Is Not Always Evil
This distinction is important.
The Bible does not condemn every form of aspiration, excellence, or desire for achievement.
Paul says:
“Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation.”
— Romans 15:20 KJV
There was clearly holy determination in Paul.
The issue is therefore not simply desire versus no desire.
The deeper question is:
Who is the source, who is the object, and who receives the glory?
James warns about a different kind of ambition:
“But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.”
— James 3:14 KJV
And he continues:
“For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.”
— James 3:16 KJV
So we could distinguish holy aspiration from self-exalting ambition.
3. Vision Looks Beyond the Minister
A genuine ministry vision should eventually answer:
Who will be blessed?
What purpose of God will be advanced?
What Kingdom result will emerge?
For example:
Ambition:
“I want to build the largest church in the province.”
Vision:
“I believe God is calling us to establish Christ-centered communities that disciple families, equip believers, plant churches, and raise leaders who will continue the Great Commission.”
The first can become centered on the size of my ministry.
The second is centered on the extension of God's Kingdom.
Numbers are not necessarily wrong. A large church can be a tremendous blessing. But numbers must remain a fruit of the mission, not become the identity of the minister.
4. Vision Can Survive Without Recognition
One of the strongest tests is what happens when nobody sees you.
Ambition often asks:
“Will people recognize what I am doing?”
Vision asks:
“Is this what God has called me to do?”
That is why Jesus warned against performing righteousness merely to be seen:
“Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them.”
— Matthew 6:1 KJV
Ministry can become dangerous when God's assignment becomes a platform for the minister's identity.
The minister begins with:
“God called me to serve.”
But gradually it becomes:
“I need people to recognize that God called me.”
That is where vision can quietly become ambition.
5. Vision Produces Assignment; Ambition Produces Competition
A person operating from vision can celebrate another person's success because the Kingdom is larger than his own ministry.
Paul demonstrated this attitude:
“Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will... What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice.”
— Philippians 1:15, 18 KJV
Ambition can make another minister's success feel like our failure.
Vision allows us to say:
“If Christ is being glorified and people are being discipled, the Kingdom is advancing—even if I am not the one receiving the recognition.”
A Simple Ministry Formula
I would formulate it this way:
VISION = God's Purpose + God's Perspective + God's People + God's Timing
Whereas unhealthy ambition becomes:
AMBITION = Personal Desire + Personal Recognition + Personal Achievement + Personal Glory
And there is an important middle ground:
HOLY ASPIRATION = Personal willingness to pursue God's assignment with excellence.
That is not selfish ambition. That is faithful stewardship.
The Ultimate Test
Before launching a ministry, project, church program, organization, or major initiative, ask five questions:
1. SOURCE — Where did this come from?
Did I receive this from God, or did I manufacture it from my desires?
2. SCRIPTURE — Does it agree with God's revealed Word?
A claimed vision never overrides Scripture.
3. SERVANT — Who am I trying to serve?
Christ and His people—or ultimately myself?
4. SACRIFICE — Am I willing to obey even when there is no recognition?
Vision survives hidden seasons.
5. GLORY — Who gets the glory if it succeeds?
If the answer ultimately has to be me, something needs to be examined.
Vision sees what God wants to accomplish and willingly becomes a steward of it. Ambition sees what I want to accomplish and seeks to make it happen through ministry.
And perhaps the most important distinction:
Vision says, “Lord, what wilt Thou have me do?”
Ambition says, “Lord, bless what I have decided to do.”
That distinction is foundational to healthy Christian leadership.

No comments:
Post a Comment